Year 2017 brought some great news for the people of India and Ahmedabad to be precise. With Ahmedabad being crowned India’s First World Heritage City by UNESCO and looking at the rich art and cultural heritage the city’s monuments boast of, it is imperative that art and culture has been flowing in the veins of Ahmedabadis since ages. But to be honest, the people of Ahmedabad, irrespective of their social strata or their profession, should be made to come face to face with the rich talent of artists living amongst them in the same city.
That’s exactly what Abhivyakti – City Arts Project aims at doing – bringing the artists of the city face to face with the citizens through their art. Abhivyakti is a 30 day long celebration of art and artists which comprises various forms of art like Theatre, Installations, Music, Dance and Exhibitions. This epic journey towards exploring the art of Ahmedabad begins on 19th January and ends on 17th February from 4 PM at Sanskar Kendra, Paldi.
For art enthusiasts and people who want to get a peek into art, here are the
Top 5 reasons why a true Ahmedabadi shouldn’t miss witnessing this event:
- Award winning performances: Three guest performances by internationally acclaimed artists are not to be missed at any cost. ‘Sringara Ranga’ is a dance performance by Vaibhav Arekar – a new generation intense dance artist who is recipient of several awards for his performances. ‘’Jheeni’ is a musical journey co-directed and performed by Sanjukta Wagh – A performer, choreographer, teacher and curator trained extensively in Hindustani Music. ‘Words have been uttered’ is a play by Sunil Shanbagh who is a theatre director, screenwriter and documentary film maker. Sunil has been bestowed with several awards for his performances and has worked with reputed film directors on TV serials and short films.
- Soul Stirring Acts: For the lovers of literature, poetry and theatre, Abhivyakti promises soul stirring performances that not just takes you down the nostalgic street but will invoke an entirely different perspective about life and things. Scintillating dance performances including interesting collaboration between painters and poets along with contemporary dance performance, Bharatnatyam and Kathak will mesmerize you. Traditional, fusion, percussion, Hindustani classical music will take you on a musical voyage.
- A new perspective: Social realities and unique perspectives will come alive with photography and painting exhibitions. Some mind-blowing installations are also present to make you wonder and smile at the same time. Ideas about cityscapes, heritage, beauty, nostalgia, relationships and more shaped by painters, sculptors and photographers using various materials in different scales will leave you spellbound.
- Be mind-blown every day: Every single day at Abhivyakti promises to be an experience that’ll prove to be unforgettable. Each day at Abhivyakti will begin at 4 pm and serve the people with different platters of art forms blended to perfection.
- Free entry for all: Last but not the least, since art is something every single person, irrespective of caste, creed, sex, age, color or social strata should relish, this 30 day event is totally free of cost. You just need to pre-register to confirm your entry.
Every Ahmedabadi should attend this event, appreciate art and recognize the efforts of fellow Ahmedabadis and take pride in the artistic lineage their own city stands for.
For free registration, visit http://abhivyaktiart.org/calender.aspx.